The ABPA is pleased to announce that Imran Vakil, an intellectual property lawyer, business litigator, and Managing Attorney at Nexio PC & Rosemary Coates of Blue Silk Consulting will address the audience during the Thursday, 4/30/20 business session at the ABPA Newport Beach Convention! Their presentation is titled, “Fighting Brand Theft and Counterfeit Goods”.
One out of twenty parts imported into the U.S. are counterfeit. Today’s global counterfeiters make products that are nearly indistinguishable from the true brands. How can you determine if you have counterfeits in your supply chain or if you are purchasing counterfeit parts? Learn about the dark side of global trade from the pros. Discuss the processes for combatting counterfeits, the legal processes and laws that apply to your supply chain. Imran Vakil is an attorney specializing in counterfeit cases and Rosemary Coates is a Global Supply Chain consultant and an Expert Witness for legal cases involving counterfeit imports.
During this presentation, the audience will learn:
- How common is counterfeiting?
- What are the options for locating the source of counterfeit products?
- The regions of the world causing the problem and those most affected by it.
- What to look out for: counterfeiter profiles
- What are the options for stopping the flow of counterfeits?
- What laws are on the books to solve this problem?
- The border vs criminal vs civil enforcement
- Are grey market goods a necessary evil?
- From detection to enforcement: how companies go about catching counterfeiters.
- A practical look at recent cases through an expert witnesses’ eyes.
These topics will ultimately help you inform the questions: Is your brand protected? Does your anti-counterfeiting strategy measure up?
Imran F. Vakil is an intellectual property lawyer, business litigator, and Managing Attorney at Nexio PC. Having been attorney of record in over four hundred state and federal cases, TTAB actions, arbitrations, and mediations, Imran has expertise in the litigation of trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, trade secrets, patents, unfair competition and commercial disputes.
Rosemary Coates is an Expert Witness for legal cases involving global supply chain matters. She is also the President of Blue Silk Consulting, a Global Supply Chain consulting firm and Executive Director of the Reshoring Institute. She is a best-selling author of: 42 Rules for Sourcing and Manufacturing in China and Legal Blacksmith – How to Avoid and Defend Supply Chain Disputes. Ms. Coates lives in Silicon Valley and has worked with over 80 clients worldwide.