The ABPA and a coalition of more than 152 other companies and trade associations representing U.S. importers, exporters, transportation providers and other supply chain stakeholders today submitted a letter of support to Congress endorsing the Ocean Shipping Reform Act of 2021.
The text of the support letter follows. You can also download the letter here or view the press release from the National Retail Federation for more information.
September 13, 2021
U.S. House of Representatives
2368 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
U.S. House of Representatives
1714 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515
Dear Representatives Garamendi and Johnson,
On behalf of the undersigned companies and trade associations representing U.S. importers, exporters, transportation providers and other supply chain stakeholders, we are writing to express our strong support for the Ocean Shipping Reform Act of 2021 (OSRA21) (HR 4996) which you have introduced. We believe the reforms included in OSRA21 will help address longstanding, systemic supply chain and port disruption issues which have been further exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The ongoing supply chain challenges that face the nation’s exporters and importers are having a significant effect on their economic recovery during the pandemic. While the supply chain has been stretched from end-to-end, there are systemic issues that need to be addressed in the maritime cargo sphere. For many years, the issue of detention and demurrage has been a problem leading to significant cost increases for cargo owners and truckers, many times due to issues beyond their control. We certainly welcomed the Interpretive Rule on Detention and Demurrage as published by the Federal Maritime Commission, but we need more than just “guidance” that is not being followed by ocean carriers nor marine terminals, leading to hundreds of millions of dollars in unfair penalties against US shippers and their transportation partners. The legislation will seek to formalize this rule and truly define the parameters for these charges.
Foreign markets are critical to American businesses, particularly US farmers and ranchers, with more than 20% of agricultural production going abroad. Problems obtaining ocean containers of any kind combined with difficulty securing vessel space at fair and reasonable prices, are jeopardizing livelihoods and economic recovery. The attention given these unreasonable practices and the reforms proposed in OSRA21 are critical to reversing those challenges facing not only US exporters but also US businesses that rely on imports.
The legislation will also seek to update key provisions of the Ocean Shipping Reform Act, which hasn’t been updated in over two decades. The maritime transportation system has changed significantly during those decades. While some maritime transportation system changes have been a positive for the industry overall, we need to ensure the regulations remain applicable to today’s reality. With the creation of the carrier alliances, contraction of the number of carriers in the market, changes to chassis management and others, we believe the time is right for these important reforms.
We thank you for your strong leadership on this issue to ensure that the ongoing supply chain disruption and port congestion issues are addressed. This will help ensure U.S. competitiveness and continued economic recovery. We look forward to working with you to ensure passage of this important legislation.
- Accustom Brokerage, LLC
- Akzo Nobel
- Associated Bag
- BassTech International
- BBT Logistics, Inc.
- Best Transportation
- Bio-Vet, Inc
- Briggs & Riley Travelware, LLC
- BubbleBum USA LLC
- Byer California
- Cap America, Inc
- Carbochem Inc
- Dalakar Hill LLC
- Delka Trucking, Inc.
- Delta Cycle Corp
- ElliptiGO, Inc.
- Epstone Inc. T/A Artistic Tile
- Everlast Sports Mfg Inc.
- Hapco Inc.
- Hatco Corporation
- HCS International
- Hercules Enterprises LLC
- Highline United LLC
- ICE Robotics
- InUSA Manufacturing LLC
- It luggage USA, Ltd.
- J Way Company
- Ju Ju Be Intl
- Kontoor Brands, Inc.
- Levatoy, LLC
- Loftex Home LLC
- Luggage Shop of Lubbock
- Luraco Technologies
- M.E. Dey & Co. Inc.
- Mobile Edge LLC
- MTI, INC. PA
- Multiax America Inc
- Outdoor Gear, Inc.
- Regal Lager, Inc
- Renfro Brands LLC
- Schuster Products, LLC
- Setlog Corp.
- SGP Inc
- Signify North America Corporation
- Star Children’s Dress Co.
- Stork Craft Manufacturing Inc.
- Synergies Worldwide Ltd.
- T.G.S. Logistics, Inc.
- Town & Country Living
- Transways Motor Express co., Inc.
- Uncommon Carrier, Inc.
- United State Luggage, LLC
- Wausau Chemical Corporation
- Wenko Inc.
- WEST END Express
- Zero Halliburton, Inc.
Trade Association Signatures
- Accessories Council
- Agriculture Transportation Coalition
- Air-Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute
- American Apparel & Footwear Association
- American Association of Exporters and Importers
- Association of Bi-State Motor Carriers
- Association of Food Industries
- Auto Care Association
- Automotive Body Parts Association (ABPA)
- CAWA – Representing the Automotive Parts Industry
- Color Pigments Manufacturers Association
- Columbia River Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association
- Consumer Brands Association
- Consumer Technology Association
- Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA)
- Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association of Northern California Customs Brokers & International
- Freight Forwarders Association of Washington State
- Dairy Farmers of America
- Distilled Spirits Council of the U.S.
- Experiential Designers & Producers Association
- Footwear Distributors & Retailers of America (FDRA)
- Fragrance Creators Association
- Freight Management Association of Canada
- Game Manufacturers Association
- Green Coffee Association
- Greeting Card Association
- Halloween & Costume Association
- Harbor Trucking Association
- Home Fashion Products Association
- Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries, Inc
- Intermodal Motor Carriers Conference
- International Association of Movers (IAM)
- International Association of Refrigerated Warehouses
- International Bottled Water Association
- International Housewares Association
- International Warehouse Logistics Association
- International Wood Products Association
- ISSA – The Worldwide Cleaning Industry Association
- Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA)
- Leather and Hide Council of America
- Los Angeles Area Chamber of Commerce
- Los Angeles Customs Brokers & Freight Forwarders Association
- Meat Import Council of America
- Michigan Chemistry Council
- Motor & Equipment Manufacturers Association
- Motorcycle Industry Council
- National Association of Chemical Distributors
- National Association of Music Merchants
- National Electrical Manufacturers Association
- National Fisheries Institute
- National Foreign Trade Council
- National Industrial Transportation League
- National Marine Manufacturers Association
- National Milk Producers Federation
- National Pork Producers Council
- National Retail Federation
- National Ski & Snowboard Retailers Association
- National Sporting Goods Association
- New Jersey Motor Truck Association
- North American Association of Food Equipment Manufacturers (NAFEM)
- North American Home Furnishings Association
- North American Meat Institute
- Outdoor Industry Association
- Pacific Coast Council of Customs Brokers and Freight Forwarders Assns. Inc.
- Personal Care Products Council
- Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council
- Plumbing Manufacturers International
- Promotional Products Association International (PPAI)
- Recreational Off Highway Vehicle Association
- Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA)
- San Diego Customs Brokers Association
- Specialty Vehicle Institute of America
- Sports & Fitness Industry Association (SFIA)
- The Can Manufacturers Institute
- The Fertilizer Institute
- The Foreign Trade Association (FTA)
- The Hardwood Federation
- The Toy Association
- Travel Goods Association
- U.S. Dairy Export Council
- U.S. Fashion Industry Association
- United Natural Products Alliance
- Wisconsin Credit Assn
- The Honorable Peter DeFazio, Chairman, Committee on Transportation & Infrastructure Committee
- The Honorable Sam Graves, Ranking Member, Committee on Transportation & Infrastructure Committee
- The Honorable Salud O. Carbajal, Chairman, Committee on Transportation & Infrastructure Committee Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation
- The Honorable Bob Gibbs, Ranking Member, Committee on Transportation & Infrastructure Committee Subcommittee on Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation