The ABPA represents the interests of its membership and supports strategic positions that will enhance their business climate. This page lists the current federal and state issues that we feel affect the industry and the interests of our members, along with details about our position and actions taken. In addition, resources are provided for members to contact their elected officials and government agencies.
Jump to Section:
- COVID-19 Information
- ABPA Legal Cases
- Federal Issues
- State Issues
- Speak Up! Contact Your Elected Officials and Government Agencies
Resources for ABPA Members:
- Guidance for ABPA Members Regarding COVID-19
- COVID-19: Guidance on the Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce
- COVID-19 State and Local Policy Dashboard – MultiState Associates (Updated Daily)
- Guidance for ABPA Members in Obtaining Relief Loans – Updated 4/15/2020
- ABPA Urges Membership to Contact Their Representatives to Provide Additional Funding for the SBA PPP Program – 4/20/2020
- ABPA Sponsored Webinar – Understanding the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) and Maximizing Loan Forgiveness
- U.S. Small Business Administration
- CISA Memorandum on Identification of Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers During COVID-19 Response (3/19/2020)
- COVID-19 Guidance from SEMA (3/20/2020)
- AIA Canada: Government of Ontario Designates Businesses in the Aftermarket Supply Chain as Essential Workplaces (3/23/2020)
ABPA Legal Cases
ABPA vs Ford Global
On November 25, 2013, the Automotive Body Parts Association (ABPA) filed a lawsuit in Federal Court against Ford Global Technologies, LLC (Ford Global). The lawsuit requested a declaration that certain Ford Global design patents directed toward automotive body repair parts are invalid and unenforceable under the doctrines of functionality and patent exhaustion. ABPA is proceeding on the basis of associational standing.
Donate to the ABPA Legal Fund
The ABPA welcomes support from our members to assist in advocacy efforts. To make a donation to the ABPA Legal Fund, download the ABPA Legal Fund Pledge Form. If you opt for a regular contribution, you will receive a monthly invoice from the ABPA. All funds are directly deposited to the ABPA Legal Fund Account. Donations can also be made via PayPal by clicking the button below:
FTC “Nixing the Fix” Workshop
On July 16, 2019, the FTC hosted a workshop titled “Nixing the Fix” to examine ways in which manufacturers may limit third-party repairs. The ABPA submitted data to the FTC in response to their request for research focused on such limitations. Although we were not selected as panelists in the workshop, we did attend in person in Washington, DC. Further, we were able to secure a personal meeting with the FTC later in the summer where we submitted more data.
Section 232 Tariffs
The ABPA is closely monitoring the effects of the 232 Tariffs on our members and speaking up against these tariffs whenever possible. This includes the July 2018 hearing in Washington, DC. Please contact the ABPA for additional information, including how to apply for exceptions.
Vehicle Data and Telematics Restrictions
As a member of the Auto Care Association, the ABPA is working with Auto Care leadership in educating and engaging ABPA members in vehicle data restrictions. The Auto Care Association is currently marketing the “Your Car. Your Data. Your Choice.” campaign. To find out more on this issue and how you as an ABPA member can act and make your voice heard, visit the Auto Care Association Telematics website.
Speak Up! Contact Your Elected Officials and Government Agencies
Federal Elected Officials
- Locate your U.S. senators’ contact information.
- Find your U.S. representative’s website and contact information.
State Elected Officials
- Get in touch with your state governor.
- Find the names and current activities of your state legislators.
Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
- File a complaint using the FTC Complaint Assistant website.